FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Nevada School of Professional Studies is a recognized post-secondary vocational training school. We offer short-term trainings that allow you to obtain national certifications. Our trainings are also stackable, meaning you can advance in your career by building your credentials upon one another. Below you may find answers to most the commonly asked questions. If your question is not below, feel free to contact us.
1. What is Vocational Training?
Vocational Education and Training (VET) programs team up with industry and government to offer people workplace skills and technical knowledge that can advance their careers and help them prepare for the future. Unlike traditional tertiary programs, VET courses provide students with practical, occupation-based qualifications that lead directly to job opportunities in their field of choice. In the most cost effective and shortest time frame possible, the certificate route allows you to dive into new interests, enhance your professional portfolio, improve your employment outcomes, or qualify for admission to a higher education program.
2. How long does it take to complete a certification?
Vocational training is short term training and learning that provides individuals with skills in a short period of time that links them to the job market. NSPS offers IT training that is approximately 3 weeks in length. Our Medical Billing and Coding course is the longest certification at 3 months.
3. How much does Vocational training cost?
Generally, a VET course costs between $4,000 and $20,000 . NSPS offers affordable certification
courses starting at $1,575.00
4. How can I pay for my certifications?
NSPS offers flexible payment options, including financing. In the current economy with unemployment soaring at historic rates, our team of knowledgeable staff can pre-screen and
make recommendations for alternative funding options. This includes referrals to community partners that assist unemployed/underemployed Nevadans and based on eligibility may be able to pay 100% of the cost and provide supportive services to assist you in being successful.
5. What is a stackable credential?
According to the Department of Labor, stackable credentials are “part of a sequence of credentials accumulated over time to build up an individual's qualification to help them move along a career pathway or up a career ladder to potentially different and higher paying jobs.”
6. What if I move to another state?
The great thing about NSPS is that we offer trainings that can lead to national certifications. Obtaining a national certification means that you achieved a nationally recognized and respected credential. A national credential certifies that you have the knowledge, competencies
and skills to perform the job in a specific trade. Your national certification travels with you!
7. What agency is NSPS credentialed by?
NSPS is certified and licensed by Post-Secondary in Nevada. We are also a testing site for CompTIA, Medical Billing and Coding, and Microsoft Office.
8. What kind of jobs can I get with a CompTIA Certifications?
- Service desk analyst
- Technical support specialist
- Field service technician
- Associate network engineer
- Data support technician
- Desktop support administrator
- End-user computing technician
- Help desk technician
- Network Engineer
- Network Security Engineer
- Computer operator
- Security Analyst
- Information Security Analyst
- Senior Technical Support Engineer
- Senior Software Engineer
- Support Technician, Information Technology (IT)
- Network Engineer
- Information Technology (IT) Manager
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Systems Administrator
- Systems Engineer (Computer Networking / IT)
- Support Analyst, Information Technology (IT)
9. What kind of jobs can I get with a Medical Billing and Coding certification?
- Medical Records Coordinator
- Medical Coding Specialist
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Medical Records Technician (or Medical Records Tech)
- Health Information Specialist
- Medical Records Clerk
- Health Information Clerk
- Front/Back office Clerk
10. What kind of jobs can I get with a Microsoft Office Specialist Certification?
- Office Manager
- Executive Assistant
- Administrative Assistant
- IT Support Technician
- SharePoint Specialist
- Database Specialist
- Workbook Developer
- Research Analyst
11. How does vocational training increase my chances of getting employed?
Research has shown that additional training has a positive impact on a person’s employment opportunities. Acquiring new skills and competencies can extend options for professional advancement and offer additional career choices. There are also indications that VET may contribute to reducing unemployment and protect people from becoming unemployed in the first place. The acquisition of additional skill sets has a positive influence on career opportunities. Better-qualified people are usually in higher demand and are therefore able to command a wider range of choices. This also results in better job mobility as it makes it easier for employees to transition from one job to another.
New Years Day
Martin Luther King's Birthday